This section provides best practices for active organization, handling and maintenance of the data created throughout the research process. Data lifecycle goes from planning, collection, processing and data analysis.
- Standard Operating Procedure: DFM Research Data Management SOP
- Presentation: Managing your research data: an introduction to DMP Assistant by Jay Brodeur and Isaac Pratt, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Slides | Video]
- Presentation: Frontend and Backend Database Development by Steve Dragos, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Video | Slides]
- Examples: DMP exemplars
- Tip Sheet: How to develop a focus group and interview guide
- Journal article: Kallio, H., Pietilä, A. M., Johnson, M., & Kangasniemi, M. (2016). Systematic methodological review: developing a framework for a qualitative semi‐structured interview guide. Journal of advanced nursing, 72(12), 2954-2965.*
Data collection – Development and Design
Piloting research instruments
- Tip sheet: Piloting surveys
- Webpage: How to pretest and pilot a survey questionnaire – tools4dev
- Presentation: Socio-demographic data collection: Current evidence and practice in primary care research by Jennifer Lawson, Dawn Elston and Neha Arora, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Slides | Video]
- Tip sheet: Piloting the question guide
- Presentation: REDCap – Dr. Ric Angeles and Steve Dragos, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Video part 1 | Video part 2; Slides part 1 | Slides part 2]
- Presentation: LimeSurvey – Michael Wilson, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Video]
- Presentation: Interviews and Focus Groups – Jessica Jurgurtis, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Slides]
- Journal article: McGrath, C., Palmgren, P. J., & Liljedahl, M. (2019). Twelve tips for conducting qualitative research interviews. Medical teacher, 41(9), 1002-1006.
- Presentation: Responding to Sensitive Health & Social Issues in Research Interviews by Laura Cleghorn & Jessica Gaber [slides]
- Tip sheet: Virtual interview and focus groups
- Tip sheet: How to use DFM transcription service
- Tip sheet: Automated Transcription Services
Data Collection at McMaster Family Health Team
- MFHT Research Approval Process
- MFHT Research Request form for internal applicants
- MFHT Research Request form for external applicants
Processing and data analysis
- Presentation: SPSS – Dr. Larkin Lamarche and Melissa Pirrie, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Video part 1 | Slides part 1]
- Presentation: Just the basics: Learning about the essential steps to do some simple things in SPSS by Dr. Larkin Lamarche, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder [Video | Slides]
- SAS licensing for McMaster Staff
- Software: NVivo
- Software: Dedoose
- Presentation: Choosing the appropriate statistical test by Dr. Larkin Lamarche [Summary | Slides | Video]
- Journal article: Shorten, A., & Shorten, B. (2015). Which statistical tests should I use? Evidence-based nursing, 18(1), 2-3.
- Online tool: Suner, A., Karakülah, G., Koşaner, Ö., & Dicle, O. (2015). StatXFinder: a web-based self-directed tool that provides appropriate statistical test selection for biomedical researchers in their scientific studies. SpringerPlus, 4(1), 1-13
- Example: Quantitative data analysis plan – Table (PDF)
- Learning module: One-stop shop – Thematic Analysis, The University of Auckland
- Book: Saldaña, J. (2021). The coding manual for qualitative researchers. SAGE.
- Example: Qualitative data analysis plan– Table (PDF)
- Journal article: Sandelowski, M. (2000). Whatever happened to qualitative description? Research in nursing & health, 23(4), 334-340.
- Journal article: Sandelowski, M. (2010). What’s in a name? Qualitative description revisited. Research in nursing & health, 33(1), 77-84.
- Journal article: Hsieh, H.F. and Shannon, S.E., 2005. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qualitative health research, 15(9), pp.1277-1288.*
- Journal article: Assarroudi, A., Heshmati Nabavi, F., Armat, M. R., Ebadi, A., & Vaismoradi, M. (2018). Directed qualitative content analysis: the description and elaboration of its underpinning methods and data analysis process. Journal of Research in Nursing, 23(1), 42-55.*
- Journal article: Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2019). Reflecting on reflexive thematic analysis. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 11(4), 589-597.*
- Learning module: Lacey, Anne and Luff, Donna. Trent Focus for Research and Development in Primary Health Care: An Introduction to Qualitative Analysis. Trent Focus, 2001
- Presentation: Data Coding and Analysis – Dr. Meredith Vanstone, Research Knowledge and Skill Builder
- Presentation: What to Know About NVivo A Qualitative Primer – Jessica Gaber, Laura Cleghorn, Research Knowledge and Skill builder [Part 1: Video | Slides; Part 2: Video | Slides]
- Video: Thematic Analysis Techniques for Qualitative Research – Dr. Larkin Lamarche, Faculty Spring Retreat
*DFM faculty members can access full text articles from the McMaster Health Sciences Library using your MacID. To request your MacID, or if you’re having issues, please email Faculty Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org.